On Friday 25/07/08 Richard and I have worked on the sensor. The makeshift one was too unstable to give reliable results. We used Barbara’s felt prototype as a starting point. It soon became clear that the stiff wires we used didn’t go well with the soft felt. It’s hard to wear the sensor around the finger and keep it light tight. I think it also is too big for me. But it worked in the sense that it generates data. The tiny LED gives a lot of light :) So the concept works but the realisation needs some fine-tuning.
So we’ll have to look for more solid material on the one hand and less stiff wiring on the other to make the sensor fit tightly and nicely. Materials the could be used are leather, rubber or neoprene (diving suits). I know someone who can sew these thicker materials. I’ll ask her to help with a prototype.