flickr problems

Downloading the big format photo’s from Flickr turned out to be more trouble then I expected. Downloading the small format pictures went like a breeze, as I explained here. But on almost all the big files I got this picture:

I suppose I got kicked out. I only realised this when I wanted to integrate the pictures in the pdf so that was a bit of a set back. I had to think of a way to download the photo’s and be able to link them to the dataset. I’ve used two programs to download all my pictures from Flickr: Bulkr and PhotoSuck. Both contained the Flickr photo id in their file names. I found and rewrote a script to list all the file names, loop through them and save the pictures under their id used in the dataset. I keep being pleasantly surprised by Java and Processing. Eventually I only had to download only on picture by hand:

The next step is scaling the differently sized pictures to match the width of the pdf. I think I might also use the titles and tags of the pictures in a subtle way, I’m not quite sure yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>