Right, I’ve just discovered how the gaps in the picture series appear. When there’s not enough light to take a picture the camera makes a long low beep. I thought that was just a warning but now I’ve discovered that it just fails to take a picture. So for yesterday I managed to complete the series without gaps. The only problem there was yesterday was the Suunto watch. It didn’t find the heart-rate belt because the batteries were low. I tried to replace them but couldn’t. I had to go back to the shop to have it fixed. So I only could start measuring at 10 o’clock. That was a bit of a shame.
Kinky looking electrode gel
From the user group I got a reply for my questions on how to continue measuring the heart-rate during the night. I have to use electrode gel. I ordered it Monday and it arrived today. It looks funny. Unfortunately it’s only for two nights in Breda. I hope it works. Tonight I only measured till 0.30… It will be for Amsterdam as well when it works. A problem is that I will have different durations in measurement time. I hadn’t thought about that. I will have to find a programmatic solution for that. As I want to compare the rates at the same time in different places.
Example of a corrupt image
I just downloaded about 400 images from my camera ALL of which are corrupt! What a mess. So for this morning there will be a lot of pictures ‘not available’… They look kind of cool, if they weren’t ruining my project I would actually like them. Glitches are a form of art in some circles.
I think it has to do with the numbering of the pictures. The internal counter had reached the number 999 and then it probably does not know what to do next. In the future I will delete the images in the camera and this way reset the counter. Then it will never reach 999 and hopefully this problem will be over.
Picture showing when my camera failed, and at night
Yesterday I inspected my harvest of the first day of measuring. It was a little disturbing. I found out I had way to little pictures from my cam. Somehow I missed a couple of hours worth of material… I filled some holes with copies. But I spent hours doing so. Also calculating where the camera missed out cost a lot of time. It was quite depressing. I can’t go around for a whole week faking the life I already lived! So I decided that where there are holes in the picture series I’ll just show a prepared picture. This decision has given me a lot of peace. I will have to program this of course.
Thankfully yesterday the picture taking went very well. I only have to fill the gaps for the two second delay in the time lapse which is a lot less work. What didn’t go well was the GPS device. I sort of forgot about it and then it was almost dead. It’s still recharging now. It kept on logging though, even though it was almost out of power. Good stuff.
Today I’ve started with my week in Breda. I woke up a little too late for my taste but I suppose I just was tired… So from 10.10 the measuring has started. I had some problems getting my the pictures from my camera to my laptop. It refused to transfer the files. There were about 80 corrupt files on the camera. I don’t know where they came from. Maybe it had to do with the device I ordered to transfer the pictures to a USB stick without using a PC. Unfortunately this didn’t work with the JB cam. I don’t know why not, it worked just fine with my other digital camera. It’s a shame it doesn’t work because it would have made me more flexible. But now I will have to take my laptop when I leave home for more then a couple of hours.
I’ve just done a check on the time lapse functionality of my camera. It appears that it take a picture every 62 seconds instead of every 60 seconds. So I’ll need to fake two photographs per hour in order to keep track with time.