Downloading the big format photo’s from Flickr turned out to be more trouble then I expected. Downloading the small format pictures went like a breeze, as I explained here. But on almost all the big files I got this picture:
I suppose I got kicked out. I only realised this when I wanted to integrate the pictures in the pdf so that was a bit of a set back. I had to think of a way to download the photo’s and be able to link them to the dataset. I’ve used two programs to download all my pictures from Flickr: Bulkr and PhotoSuck. Both contained the Flickr photo id in their file names. I found and rewrote a script to list all the file names, loop through them and save the pictures under their id used in the dataset. I keep being pleasantly surprised by Java and Processing. Eventually I only had to download only on picture by hand:
The next step is scaling the differently sized pictures to match the width of the pdf. I think I might also use the titles and tags of the pictures in a subtle way, I’m not quite sure yet.
I’m starting a new data visualisation project. It uses some eight years of data from the numuseum website. In 2005 I started with a micro diary (255 characters per day) using custom software to update it every two hours. In 2006 followed my energy level and in 2008 inner peace and stress were added. All could be updated every two hours using the custom software. There are almost 900 pictures and around 60 haiku’s.
All this data will be integrated in an off-line visualisation: reversed calendar. This will take the form of an enormous tear-off calendar, where every leaf represents a day. There will be 2865 leafs in the calendar.
So I first have to get my head around the data sets. Luckily statistics wizard Marco Altini is helping to sort things out. He uses the very powerful program called R. Which can give you quick insight into data correlations. It was a bit embarrassing to discover how sloppy my data is. Notations have changed over the years and errors cause my program to halt.
At the moment I’m designing the leafs and doing some initial data accessing. I started out with the micro diary. I use Processing and Java to read in the data and at a later stage create pdfs for every day which can then be printed and made into a real tear-off calendar.
My idea is to make a big loop going through all the days from 27-4-2005 till 01-03-2013. I use the Java GreogorianCalendar class for that. The diary is in csv format consisting of a date and text string. I then compare every date with the date text string in the loaded data. It took some time to get the formatting right so the data can be compared as strings. I now have the first data ready to be incorporated into the pages. The printed output looks like this:
maandag 25-02-2013 // date of the page
Things are looking clear today.<br />Why does everything go more slow then you hoped? // diary text
p. 2861 // page of the calendar
I hope I will learn the art of not worrying.<br />A nice conversation, new perspectives.
I want to share a little bit of code with you that I’m not using in the application but which might come in handy sometime. It lets you compare a date string to the incremented date (calStart):
Date d = new Date();
// make date
String myDate = “30-11-2005″;
DateFormat sdf = new SimpleDateFormat(“dd-MM-yyyy”);
d = sdf.parse(myDate);
Calendar tmpCal = new GregorianCalendar();
I’ve been working like mad for last couple of weeks to get the ‘drawingBreath’ software going. Main issues:
- working with the sense-os API, more specificly formatting the string to be send to and retrieved from the server
- getting the custom software to work on the various PCs
- making the software work for five sensors in stead of one
From the above you can tell that I’m just an artist struggling to program without proper education. But I have learned a lot again especially about JSON in Java and iterations. And was happy I finished my two Java courses, at least now I had a good idea of what I was doing. The software can now do the following:
- Login to the sense-os platform and get a session id
- List all the ids of the 5 sensors
- Read data from the serial port
- Format (JSON) and send that data with a time stamp
- Retrieve the data from all 5 sensors
- Calibrate all 5 sensors
- Make a drawing for every sensor
- Make sounds for every sensor
- The different tasks are all conducted by separate timers
I only want to fine tune the drawing and the speed of the drawing but for the most part it’s finished(!).
I’ve conducted some test sessions with a smaller group but yesterday evening was the first time there was four of us. It went surprisingly well. No problems with the server, it was a bit unreliable lately. And the visual and audio results were promising:
I’ve started my course Object oriented programming in Java part 1 today. It’s a lot of fun to study again. Most of the things I knew already but I have learned some new things too. The pict shows the results of one of the first programs we had to write. I used JCreator as I couldn’t get it to work from the command prompt.
I’ve picked up AQAb again after a long break. The first thing I have to solve is the data communication between the Arduino and the phone. Unfortunately I just can’t get Python to work on my mobile. That is, the Bluetooth functionality keeps giving the error 13, permission denied. I’m just fed up with it. It’s a shame because I’d already advanced quite a bit. But other people on the forum complain of the same error. And apparently Pys60 is as good as dead.
hello world, hello Java ME
I’ve been wanting to get into Java for a long time and this is a good excuse. I do have to start from the bottom. But I’ve made my Hello world app so that’s a good start. I think eventually Java will be a much more stable platform to develop in.